Monday 22 July 2013

21/07/13 - Danny's Dash

Distance - 7 Miles
Geocaches - 0

Danny\'s Dash



Something a little unusual for the walking weekend today.... its a charity run in honour of everybody's friend Danny Horton.

P1020920
We are here for Danny
Now there wasn't much chance of me being able to do a 7 mile run out over undulating terrain, as I have a slightly bad toe (not gout).  So I get togged up with with the number 103 and get a good 45 minute head start before the runners set off.... otherwise it could have been a wait for them to pack up.

Alex had warned me that last year there were ropes to help you along.  That was probably as much to do with the wet summer, although at times I felt that I could have used them today. 

I also don't need my usual GPS, as the course has been well marked out and at several points, there is a nice friendly Army Cadet to provide instructions.  There's also some even nicer people dishing out water and jelly babies.

First point of reference is the old site of the Woodman Inn, now converted into holiday chalets.  This is quickly followed by Ribbesford Church.  Onto the Worcestershire Way and I am still in the lead, although this doesn't last for much longer as a sweaty fit fella blasts past me at full pelt.  He must be an elite, as there is no-one else following.

The loop is completed and a bit of walking back on the same paths as before when I bump into the Junior Event runners.

P1020912
Hannah and Alex - People 2 and 3 that I see on the route
Unless its a particularly slow field today, something has gone wrong.  These pair usually spend most of their time chucking water at each other, so where have all the other runners gone?

All is revealed when I see a very ashen faced cadet who reveals that "I think I have sent them all the wrong way".  A low grade military equivalent of friendly fire. 

So for all the runners who went 1m, 2m, 5m..... here's what the halfway marker looks like.

P1020910
Really, you were only cheating yourselves....
This story is confirmed as I get an update from Mr Packwood on his bike and spy a large trail of empty water bottles.  Technically however, I am still coming second.

The route takes me through some wonderful unchartered paths around the back of Stagborough, where another runner overtakes me before Danny's dad shows terrific dexterity by blasting past me on a very steep downward slope from the summit.

I hit the finish line with a posse of kids - only slightly disappointed to be out of the medals in fourth place.  Still, I do get a can of San Miguel and a kit-kat.

A short while later, Hannah and Alex return triumphantly and I get a rare chance to bond after shared physical exertion.

P1020924
My boy and me.... it's on Facebook, but I am not allowed to tag him
Shower and out to the pub to replace lost body fluids with fine continental lager.... a lovely way to spend an afternoon with friends, remembering a very special one.

No comments:

Post a Comment