Saturday 8 June 2013

08/06/13 - Mappiman's Favourite Place

Distance - 6.27 Miles
Caches - 2 found, 1 DNF
Walk from - Reader's Digest "Most Amazing places to Walk in Britain"

Bredon Hill from Overbury



I have a new pair of walking trousers, top of the range Paramo Maui II adventure trousers.  They were half price with my ludicrously impressive 12 pocket adventure jacket.  Amongst the mass of features are the promise of quick drying action, super lightweight material, protection against mosquitoes and UV protection to 50+ SPF. 

Decided to give them a run out to my favourite walking destination.  To Wainwright, it was Cat Bells.  To Mappiman, it is the Bredon Hills.  I don't know whether its the gentle climb followed by a broad expanse of superb views of the Evesham Vale or the way it has all the hallmarks of the Cotswolds but hasn't quite been invited to the party.  But I love it.

Today's route is from Overbury.  A place so picturesque, you could put it on the cover of a chocolate box.  Park up and Sonia spies her next abode, whilst trying to find a convenient dog poo bin.  Of course there's one here.  It's lemon scented.

She wants to live here
She also wants a tiny caravan, but that is another story
All the climbing, and wonderfully gentle it is too, is in the early part of the walk.  I get a march on and get into my stride only for me to get a holler that we are meant to be walking together.  I slow my pace and she catches up.  "Are those new walking trousers?", says she.  Before I can respond with the outstanding technical details, she continues with "Cause they don't half make your arse look fat".

Now, many parts of my body may indeed look fat but after 10 years walking, I will not have this criticism leveled at my aris.  I am mortified.

If anyone wants a pair of technical explorer trousers, they are now residing in Stourport Oxfam.

Take my mind of things by taking in the views.

British Countryside
Sunglasses and a soft shell?
This part of the country is so genteel.  Even the signs are pleasant.
 
 
Polite
This is how they say "Keep off my Land" in the near Cotswolds
All the walking is soon done and we take a seat at the a convenient bench.  Too early for the sarnies but try telling this to a labradoodle.  After drinking in the views, we move on - all on flat ground - picking up the Wychavon way.  Soon delivered at the first cache of the day and first team photo opportunity.

Just found a cache
Paramo make your rear look big, sadly doing little for the front
As usual, Sonia takes her 4th call of the day right as we reach the top of the hill.  I leave her to it.  I was last up here 1001 days ago and worked out the co-ordinates of a multi cache, using information from the toposcope.  I didn't get it that day, as the bounty was back the way I had come.  But I did keep a note of the reference and today, I trundle down the hill to find the treasure and drop off a TB.  I may get a prize for longest time between working it out and retrieval. 

Whilst all this is going on, Sonia has started on the sarnies.  I wait for mine until we reach the tower.  This present a wonderful place for lunch and couple of photos.

The last ladies in the Mapp House
That dog wants my cheese and pickle
Broadway Tower
The Tower
Sonia has been worrying about where the dog will drink from on this hot day.  I tell her not to worry as we always find something suitable.  She's not convinced and fashions a bowl out of the tin foil sandwich wrapper and nicks my water supply to fill it.  "That will never work", I tell her.

The dog finishes the rest of my water.

We then leave the picnic spot and head off for the third and final cache of the day which is in a Hawthorne Bush.  We cannot find it.

Move on, walking downhill past Sundial Farm.  There is an elderly rambler who appears to have brought with him a deck chair, a radio, a flask and a pair of binoculars.  Looks like he is claiming that spot as his for the day.

The drop down through Overbury Manor grounds is superb.  One section has sheep but also has a pool for the dog to have a wonderful cool down.

Dunk
Give her a stick and a pool and the sheep will not be bothered
We are delivered back to the car, looking at all the fine buildings and noticing they don't have a pub.  Oh well, we couldn't afford to live here anyway.  But a walk is not a walk without the post walk pint, so a short drive into Conderton for the necessary refreshments.

His and Hers
His and Hers.  She regretted only having a Half.
Beer O'Clock
Dog has disowned us at the Yew Tree
The reader's Digest got this walk right - its fully deserving of being included as one of the most amazing places to walk in Britain.

No comments:

Post a Comment