Saturday 22 June 2013

22/06/13 - West Side Story

Walk From - Julie Royle's 50 Worcestershire Walks
Distance - 11 Miles
Geocaches - 7 Found, 1 surrounded by Nettles, 1 at human toilet, 1 guarded by OAP Muggles

West Worcester



The problem with me setting walking goals is that I always get distracted by newer goals.  I was meant to be completing one walk a month in order from Julie's lovely manual for life.  Last time I looked at the book was Christmas.  I think I was put off by the fact that the next in the list was an 11 miler from Worcester.

My usual 5 mile tops walking companion has gone to work.  The dog is not allowed such a distance since she turned 70, and I swear she smiled at me as I left her on her bed.  The weather is not looking great.  Still, I head off, solo, having the next four hours to ponder the universe.

Hit Worcester at 8:00.  Think of parking at Pitchcroft, then the Swan theatre and then think "hang on - its free road parking for 3 hours from 8:30am".  The big question is can I do an 11 miler in 3 and half hours?  Some quick maths, where I recently did a 6 miler in 1 hour 45 minutes make me think its possible.  I leave the geowagon at the mercy of the Parking Police.

Over the racecourse to cross the river at Sabrina Bridge.  The footpath is closed for maintenance, so I head up on the road.  This enables me to get a cache that I otherwise would have by passed.

Where I should have been
Glimpse of the Severn
Cut through an estate and pick up a footpath between houses that finally delivers me to the countryside.  Two weeks ago I did a round of caches near here and this was my first time in the area.  Strange that I should be back taking in the same views of Malvern so soon.

Pass Eastbury Manor and arrive at the Knoll, which is pleasantly grassy on approach.  Views back to the unusual church spire at Hallow.

Church in focus - Mappiman not
Hallow in focus, in the distance.  Mappiman a bit blurred.

The walking on from here takes in the same places as the recent cache round.  I have a chance to get a previous DNF (bloke in his garden stopped me looking) but this time I am thwarted by the OAP neighbourhood watch who actually follow me to see why I have popped into the undergrowth.

I quickly abandon the search and outrun the law across Broadheath Common.  Make up for this disappointment by taking in the Elgar offset multi cache which I left alone last time as it took me in a different direction.  Glad to have found this, especially as it has a TB.

The predicted rain starts - out of my caching bag comes my Montane Atom raincoat.  This doesn't help with the fact that the undergrowth is more like overgrowth.  Mainly nettles but some other plants that could be triffids a waist height.  Its not long before my lower half is soaked through.  Its a relief when I make it into the sheep field, where at least they have eaten the vegetation. 

Not too impressed
Decidedly Unimpressed in damp pants
The knock on effect of the rain is that it is obscuring the view of the Malverns.  Lower Howsden should have been more impressive.

Malvern Disappearing
Nicer in the Summertime
Having met the sheep in one field, I meet the Rams in their private enclosure.  Whilst the women are out in the elements, looking after the kids, the two Rams get to lord it up.  They even have their own shelter from the rain.  Inequality running through the Animal Kingdom.

Equality
Two mates with their own hut, having left the women looking after the kids
I remember Julie saying that refreshments could usually be had at a snack van at Bransford Bridge.  Sure enough he is there and there is a sign saying that he has hot pork rolls on a Sunday.  Damn, one day too early.  I am starving but unsure if my 3 and half hours can include a sandwich break.  As there is a queue, I move on.

I am now walking back eastwards along the River Teme.  There is a cache series here and the first one that I come to is at a kissing gate.  There is a likely place for it be, on a massive tree.  On one side, the a likely hole is full of energy drinks cans.  Decide not to look through there.  Go around the otherside and someone, presumably Mr Hi NRG, has used GZ as a toilet.  And not for number ones either.

Some people ask me why I cache.  Next week, they can ask me why I have suddenly taken up golf.

Leave this place behind.  The next cache is guarded by 6ft stingers, so again, I move on quickly.

The walking along the Teme is not great.  You cannot see the river and again, the paths are very overgrown.  Relief to get to Upper Wick, where there is a cache that has a nice story about this being the former residence of the Bishop of Worcester.

Next bit of history is at Powick Bridge.  In 1642, this was the site of the first cavalry battle of the English Civil War.  The Bridge reminds me of the one at Pershore.  Stop and look at how the mill has been converted into swanky apartments.

Powick Bridge
Mappiman's Dad bringing up the rear
Continue along the Teme and start to be able to pick up the caches again.  At the stiles, there is an unusual way marker, which continues on every post back into Worcester.

Young Offenders
I'm off to Jail
The Daily Mail has already been filling my head with tales of how prisons are full of people watching DVDs, with Sky Sports and a choice of different meals from an extensive menu.  Now I find out that they get to work outdoors in the beautiful British Countryside.

I complete the remainder of the walk singing "Daddy was a bank robber" to myself.

Our next history site is the field where the Battle of 1651 took place.  This was the final battle of the English Civil war, causing Charles II to leg it.  See the top marker on the above post - he took a circuitous route to France but left a decent Long Distance Path behind him.

We also get the first views of the Cathedral.  Check the time.  Oh no, Parking Pataywo will be licking the nib of his pen as it's 11:25.

First Views of Cathedral
Close, but I'm not going to get back in my allotted time.
Reach the Severn, where the Teme empties into it and head upstream.  Nice views from the locks.  Pick up a previous DNF here.

Plain sailing all the way back into Worcester - with some impressive views of the Cathedral from the other side of the water.

Cathedral from Bridge
From Worcester Bridge
It's midday.  I know this, as all the bells are clanging.  Turn round the corner to the car, looking to see if it has a big yellow ticket.  After the rain, undergrowth, nettles and dirty red bull drinkers - its still my lucky day.



No comments:

Post a Comment