Wednesday 29 May 2013

29/05/13 - All alone on Peddars Way

Distance - 6.7 Miles
Geocaches - 2
Walk from - Jarrold, Norfolk

Peddars Way - Sedgeford



Yesterday
Just how posh is Burnham Market? The pub, The Hoste Arms, has Pimms and Lemonade on tap.  The ice cream van has a personalised number plate.  There is a shop that sells nothing but hats.

If we weren't on holiday with teenagers, both Mark and myself would have made purchases.  However, we cold not take the ridicule that we looked like Victorian chimney sweeps.

I even went in two book shops and made no purchases.   One of the books shops looks like what my house would be if I wasn't married.  I am a literary Dennis Bostock.

Then it was a meal out at the Jolly Sailors.  A very busy pub but it did have my new favourite tipple - Wherry.  Back for more games of Go Fish, and thanks to an afternoon nap, I managed to stay up to 11.15pm.

Rock and Roll.

The Walk
We have a big day ahead.... shopping :-(

So I get up early, waking no one.  The dog surprises me, by limbering up and wagging her tail, but she has a busy day hanging around Dorothy Perkins.  So I head off alone.

I always like to do one walk that starts from my holiday home and Jarrold has a walk that starts in Sedgeford.

Its a misty, cold start and I can see my breathe.  The walk is in a figure of eight, with the Peddar's way crossing the road to Fring as the centre point.  Head out down lanes, pick up the Peddar's way and head in a very straight road.

Centre Point of a Figure of 8
Centre Point

Those Roman's were deadly efficient but dull.

First cache of the day is very overgrown but I manage to retrieve by using the back door.  Then its plod on.  There is nothing to see, apart from murdered animals.  One route, I see the dismembered remains of a hare, various rabbits, a rat and bizarrely at White House, a collection of 4 moles.  At least that is what I think they are.

There's not much to say about the walk.  The low mist obscures any views - and there isn't a lot to look at anyway.  We get 3 miles in, turn left at a road and then walk all the way back on a equally straight farm track.

Not the Peddars Way
Straight on up.  Straight on down.
At least Fring has a few houses and a church to look at.  And a cache.  This is the only thing to photograph today.

Fring Church
A dull day at Fring Church
Back at the centre point, I pick up the Peddars way again, taking me to Littleport and Magazine Cottage.  Then the road back into Sedgeford. 

With 1/2 a mile to go, I text base and ask them to put the pan on.  I am rewarded with both a bacon and egg bap and a sausage bap.

That's all the major food groups covered.


No comments:

Post a Comment