Tuesday 28 May 2013

28/05/13 - At Holme, Next The Sea

Distance - 6.2 Miles
Geocaches - 1
Walk from - Walking Britain Web Site

HolmeNextTheSea


Yesterday
The holiday gang are complete, following Ellie's arrival in King's Lynn.  By the time we had got back and operated jump leads under the watchful eye of a ginger Tesco employee carrying a Morrisons bag, it was time to spark up the BBQ.  Well, we left four teenagers to spark up the BBQ, whilst we had an evening walk on Brancaster Beach - half expecting a big red truck called Dennis to be waiting outside Chez Gould on our return.

Ate our fill of home made burgers and chicken of various spices before playing the holiday game of kings - Go Fish.  Back in time for the fantastically grim "The Falls" and in bed for our regular time of 10pm.  I am so having a blow out on King William night.

The Walk
Knock me down with feather - we've only got a student coming with us today.  We are half way through my scheduled walks and all that are left are the lengthy ones.  Today's starts at Holme-Next-The-Sea and  I need to slightly adapt the walk, as an 8 miler would have had me reported to child line.  We shave off Thornham, having already driven through it.

Park up at the beach before the man in the hut is manning his station.  There is every chance I could be £3.50 up on today's walk.

We head out onto the dunes to head East.  Someone has laid a lovely path for us to follow.

P1020733
No need for my tripod - we have a student in tow

We follow this for a while, dropping down to the sea at high tide.  Some unusual sea defences mask how deep the sea could be.  Sonia and Ellie use lady logic and refuse to let me throw a stick in for Molly to fetch, as "it might be too deep". 

P1020738
Unusual Sea Defences - keeping out the deep, deep, briny sea

Another wonderful stretch through a fir tree plantation.  This landscape seems to be unique to Norfolk and it really does feel like a different country.  Head inland at the marshes, seeing the twitchers doing their twitching thing.

P1020742
My ladies in the Fir Plantation
P1020743
Before back to walking the plank
The walk has been adapted and we cross the coast road just west of Thornham to head up - and get this - a hill.  I can scarcely believe that there is even a trig point a the top.  For the second time today, Ellie asks in a singy voice "Can I get a Whoop Whoop?" at the excitement this causes me.

P1020749
Definitely worth one Whoop

At the top of the hill, we pick up a great green lane, called "Green Lane".  Nice views of spokeless Windmills, Churches and of course the sea.  I have been waiting for the first student related moan of the day, but I didn't expect it to be "that her hand's had gone all fat".

P1020751
My medical training cannot cope with this ailment
This eventually brings us to the edges of Ringstead.  Everywhere we drive here has a sign telling us how far it is to Ringstead.  We have driven through it and the major place of wonderment is a pub called the "Gin Trap".

Instead of hitting Ringstead, we take the Peddlar's way for the first time this holiday.  More nice walking, down and over the coast road and the remaining 3/4 mile to the car.  I do offer to let the ladies stop and I will pick them up on the way back, but they plough on.  There is a cache (the only one) down here and they leave me to it, finding a bench and succumbing to my earlier offer.

P1020756
That's it - they've now lost interest - and so close as well

I walk the last bit on my own, thinking to myself how much I love the Peddlar's way.

P1020755
My sort of public information broadcasting

And the lady at the kiosk wouldn't take my parking money.  Can I get a whoop whoop?

No comments:

Post a Comment