Thursday 9 May 2013

09/05/13 - Capital Ring Phase 13 - Olympic

Distance - 4 Miles
Geocaches - 8 Found, 1 DNF
Start - Stoke Newington
Finish - Hackney Wick

Capital Ring Phase 13 at EveryTrail


Another night in London, leaving late to start this, the shortest section of the Capital Ring to date.  The journey is a touch on the epic - tube to Liverpool Street and then overground to Stoke Newington, with the straggler commuters who look like they have had enough already.  Still, it is a Thursday.

Simple walk today - we have around half a mile of streets - with ominous signs warning of potential muggings.  Still, if it does happen, it will be on CCTV.  I can always add it to the blog.

I appear to still be in the Jewish section of London - passing a Jewish School and a lot of men in natty full length coats and black hats.  The weather is not good, prompting some to wear shower caps on top of their hats.  Natty.  Maybe I should have brought mine from the hotel for added protection from the wind and the rain.

I quickly walk through Springfield Park.  I spoke last week with a Cockerney (well, he was from Yorkshire but lives down here).  He says that Springfield Park is the finest in all of London.  Its nice enough, but I dont think Regents, Hyde or St James have much to worry about.

Best Park in London
Best Park in London?
A quick drop through the park brings me to the River Lea.  At least this is what it says on the OS map.  On the local signs, it seems to be called the Lee Navigation.  I am sticking with Lea.  There a lot of very well maintained micro caches along the route.

Look carefully for Cache Location
If you look really close, you can see the cache.
Cross over and I just have to follow the water all the way down to the Olympic Stadium and the end of Stage 13.

When setting out on this quest, I did set the rules that no pub shall be passed.  This had to be compromised today, as the first of the day is slighty out of reach.

So close, yet so far away
So Near, Yet so Far Away
I continue down to a bring that brings me onto the Pub Side.  It looks like the locals didn't fully embrace the Olympics.

Not getting into the Spirit
No Need for That
This side of the water does have a pub.  All the hunting for 35mm film pots has meant the night is rapidly encroaching.  Do I break my own rule and walk on by?

Pub on the right side
As well as letting myself down, it would be treasonous
It's a horrible gastro pub, so I should have probably have walked on by.  Down my pint in ultra rapid fashion and get back to the caches.

The walk runs next to Hackney Marshes - legendary site of the most football pitches in one place in the world.  You can only imagine the shouts of "can we have our ball back?" on a Sunday.

Goalposts
Only one ball on the pitch at a time
All that remains is to get the next couple of caches from under the noses of a new type of traveller who have setup home in a long stream of ramshackle barges along the water edge.  The towpath is littered with makeshift BBQs and a fair amount of party evidence.

I know that I am at the end when I reach the Olympic Stadium.  Impressive sight.  The short walk to Hackney Wick Station shows how much renovation has been brought to the area.

Olympic Stadium
The next Upton Park
Nothing in the Hackney Wick area for post walk sustenance.  Not even a pub.  So train / tube back to Southwark, glad to be out of the elements.

No comments:

Post a Comment