Saturday 2 March 2013

02/03/13 - Easily Led

Distance - 8.8 Miles
Geocaches - 7
Walk Inspiration

Ledbury



Oh Joy - March is here.  This means we can stop living like scandinavians, the boys annual trip to Cheltenham races is booked and importantly, the clocks go back.  Soon, we will be able to do things in the evening again.

I had high hopes for the walk and there is more unexpected joy, I accidently stumbled on a top 10 county pub for Herefordshire.

Ledbury is a decent looking place - famous for its black and white buildings.  I have walked here once - arriving here after a 6 hour traverse of the Malverns from Malvern Link.  The train back took 8 minutes.

Black and White Town
Built in 1617 - Now selling flowers and carpets
The route takes us up the side of the Market building and into Church Street.  Its here that I find an interesting pub and vow to return, thinking that the number 2 camra pub in Herefordshire must be on my list.

Unexpected Joy
Walk on By - No Thanks
Nice walk through the Church grounds and we work our way up Dog Hill.  There are a couple of caches to collect in between the muggle dog walkers.  Straight away, I can tell this walk will be a classic.  The paths are excellent and the views are expansive.

Dog Hill.  Apt.
Dog Hill - Why does mine look so shifty?
Next Cache is a at Kilbury Camp - another Iron Age hillfort, where we can see the Malverns in all their glory.  This view from the South West is a new one for me.

Drop down and cross the road to have a good couple of miles on excellent paths to meet the bottom end of the Malverns.  Not a soul around.

Nice Paths all the way
Enjoying the Peace

We cross the Ridgeway and drop down to Netherton Farm.  Could their be a more picturesque farmhouse?  There are a couple of dogs guarding it which make Molly a bit shifty, but I have to leave her to make friends, as for the first time this year - we see the lambs.

Come on Spring
We are sheep, not numbers
We leave this scene of domestic joy and continue to Peacock Villa at the foot of the Malverns.  Soon at the obelisk, which has undergone some tarting up since the last time I was here.  You can read the inscriptions.  Dedicated To a certain Mr Cocks and in no way phallic.

Eastnor
The Sun comes out and Blue Skies at the Obelisk
Next highligh of the walk soon arrives - Eastnor Park and the castle, which you can see in the distance.  Make my way down to the lakes.  Last time I was here, there was a herd of deer, but no sign today.

Eastnor - Lovely
Warming Up

On new territory as we head west to pick up the road.  A mercifully short bit of dodgy roadwalking before we turn right and head up past a Eastnor Church.

The paths are excellent - matching the views behind.  Its been a while since we had a geocache on the route and next one is at Dead Woman's Thorn.  I found the tupperware and thankfully, no cadavers.

The next one involves advanced geocaching.  Its OK - I had my phone with me in case I got stuck.

Too old for this
Thing I do for caching... I was rewarded with Travel Bugs.

More excellent paths lead me back to the town and a couple more caches to finish things off.  You know what comes next.

Post Walk Joy

Very nice pint of Otter, with the Tuna Sandwich being delivered moment later.  Have an impressive walk up the high street.  After last nights walk in Kidderminster, it was a joy to see independent shops without a single boarded up premises.

A superb walk, a super pub and months of good weather ahead.

2 comments:

  1. Great blog, especially like the pic of you in the tree... wtf?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cracking day out - Caching followed by the Prince - which is defiantly the best pub in town! Thanks for the Fav point - that tree is excellent.

    ReplyDelete