Sunday 24 February 2013

24/02/13 - Bigge up the Tarde

Distance - 4.7 Miles
Geocaches - 6
Walk from - Cicerone Walks in Worcestershire
Similar Walk

This weekend does not have enough free time in it, being totally dominated by football.  Yesterday, was 65th Birthday celebrations at the Albion.  They had the decency to win for us.  Today, Alex is playing in a cup game in Worcester.  They lost 8-0.  And it was very cold.

Needed to get for some sort of walk and I realise that I have a walking book that is virginial.  Not one walk has been completed from a Worcestershire Walking Book.  I decide to do one along Tardebigge Locks, starting at the impressive church on the hill.  Not new territory for me, but it will get me out the house.

Park up at the Picnic area by the Church.  There are two caches - I will save one for the return and get the one just down in the fields.  A bit weird this one - first I find a completely empty cache box and add a scrap of paper as a log book.  When I turn around, I find the real deal.  After this messing around, I can start the walk proper - following the canal downhill, from Tardebigge Tunnel.

Tardebigge Tunnel
Tardebigge Tunnel
Tow Path
On the Tow Path - Snow and new Gaiters
The walking is nice and easy with nothing to really report.  The only other people out are dayglo joggers and a couple of other dog walkers.  Oh, and a man pushing a carpet along in a wheel barrow.
 
Nothing much to look at apart from the reservoir and the famous flight of locks.
 
 
Reservoir Dog
Tardebigge Reservoir and a Toasty Hat
Cache number two of the day is at a bench by the reservoir.  Soon found, even if I do have to lie prostrate before the gods of geocaching.

I leave the towpath at the scene of a previous DNF.  Cachemate tells me that I logged that "I think I know where it is" but as it was 18months ago - I can't remember.  Still can't find it.

Across a stream and field at Copyholt Farm to pick up some lane walking.  No cars, so no problem.  There are a couple of micros along here, which I soon find.

The map shows my route and another geocache on a stretch that is not marked as a footpath.  When arriving, it is however a bridlepath.  Not often an OS Map is lacking some detail.  This takes me past Patchetts Farm.  There are some nice views behind me and back over the reservoir.

Then its lanes back to the Church, where I do pick up the final cache.

Church
St Bartholomews Pretty 18th Century Church
Is it really Spring?
Nature lying and telling me its spring
Bone Yard
End of the Walk
Hoping for a longer walk next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment