Saturday 5 January 2013

5/1/13 - 11th Day of Christmas

Distance - 7.4 Miles
Geocaches - 1
Walk Inspiration

Every year since 2005, I have completed a Xmas walk from Tintern and the surrounding area.  This year's rain, meant that I nearly missed it.  I'm not driving all this way for a miserable soaking.

Lets stay on the subject of weather.  Two years ago, it was -17 here, with ice flows down the Wye.  Today, it is 12 Degrees, a shift of 29 Degrees.  This country's bizarre weather continues to confound.  I could have done this walk without the soft shell.

With all the rain, and the fact that I was heading into the Wye Valley, I felt it was prudent to check if the roads down were OK.  No problems reported on the Web and no indication of floods.  I set off in confidence.

Battle my way down the M50, which has two long strecthes of 40MPH speed limits and then pick up the Wye Valley at Monmouth.  Get three miles down it and yes, you've guessed it - the road is closed due to flooding.  Come on Wales - the Internet is dynamic - you are meant to update it. With information.

I am forced to take a detour through Newlands and then Clearwell before dropping back down to the Wye at Bigweir Bridge.  Interesting diversion.  Would have been easier in a 4x4.

Park up and more bad news - they have started charging for parking at the Abbey.  From nothing to £3.  An impossible amount of inflation to work out.  However, I have the last laugh.  The machine is broke.  Up yours Parking Pataweyo.

New years resolution - protect trousers with Gaiters.  If only they weren't so fiddly to put on.  Especially when a pleasant middle class lady is trying to determine the breed of your dog.  Achieving Sartorial Elegance, we head off over the bridge to walk downstream of the opposite bank, following the course of an old railway line.

Over the River
This Year - We are east side, downstream
 
 
Old Railway Line
This Year, I will be mostly wearing gaiters
 
 
I have the path to myself, walking higher than the river with decent paths.  Soon, we are forced to climb uphill to reach Offa's Dyke Path.  Its steep and relentless but mercifully, soon over.  The fallen tree looked too comfy to pass by.
 
 

All Uphill
Too Many Mince Pies
 
 
Offa's Dyke path has had some work since I last came along, taking you slightly off the ancient monument.  I wanted to come back up here for the views from the Devil's Pulpit and to get the only cache on route.  I had a go at this cache in my first month of geocaching four years ago.  I must have been rubbish then - how could you fail to spot an ammo can under camo, with a perfect hint?  Today it was soon found.
 
Surprisingly, I have the Devil's pulpit to myself.  This is a small rocky tower, overlooking the abbey and I have the freedom of practicing the legend of trying to convert the monks below away from Christianity.
 
Devils Pulpit
They would have been happier if I was preaching roofing services.
 
 
Sonia has done us proud with sandwiches, and this is the ideal spot for them.  This is the only time Molly wags her trail all route.  O, to have a joyful dog.
 


Lunch at the Tree Rock
Lunch time at Rock Tree
 
We leave the pulpit and follows the Dyke around Caswell Wood, before doubling back on ourselves to wind our way downhill.  Back across the bridge and to the car to de-gaiter. 
 
 
The Abbey
This Year's Abbey Photo
 
Just have to consider the way to go home... battle the floods and roadworks?  Then I have a moment of inspiration - Eastbound Severn Bridges are toll free.  If only I could have stopped for a photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment