Saturday 12 January 2013

12/1/13 - Astle is the King

Distance - 5.25 Miles
Geocaches - 7 Found, 3 Not Found
Walk from - 100 Walks in Warwickshire and West Midlands

Netherton



This is the very definition of a varied walk.  We have had woodland, canals, coal mining, clay pits, high rise towers and housing estates.  A couple of nicely received surprises on the way around as well.

The walk starts to the right of Merry Hell.  Instead of turning to the shopper's paradise, we turn into the bowels of Netherton and park at Saltwell Country Park. 

The initial walking is woodland, uphill and after a failed cache find, we arrive at Lodge Farm Reservoir, just as the scuba divers are getting into their rubber suits.

Lodge Farm Resevoir
Church bells were ringing
 
We then pick up the canal.  Not sure I can claim cache two as a find, as this is all we found.
 

Dont think I am allowed a find
All that remains
 
No joy at all at the next cache but then we do have our first surprise of the day.  I have read about this bridge and then find myself here by accident.  As a lifelong Albion fan, Sonia thought I was getting all emotional, but I blamed the cold winds making my eyes water.
 
 

King Bridge
From Below
 
King Bridge
From Above (Lifted from the Web)
Sonia is hoping for a bacon sarnie and a cup of tea.  The next surprise of the day is stumbling upon Bumble Hole cafe, in an area that is the most picturesque part of the canal walk.  Dogs allowed, so we enter.  I ask if they do bacon sarnies and my enquiry is met with a blank.  We settle for cups of tea and mini chocolate digestives, which with a thoughtful touch, are delivered with doggie biscuits.
 
Now Molly is well known for her fussiness and after helping me polish of the choccy biscuits, I put hers into the packet.  This attempt to fool her is thwarted when she unceremoniously spits it out.  I didn't even know that dogs could spit.
 
 
Bumble Hole
Bumble Hole, Cobbs Engine House behind


Bumble Hole
 
We cross the canal, and at the forth time of asking, find a cache at last.  Well Sonia does.  The walking takes a turn for the worse as we cross some very rough ground.  Molly finds something to use as perfume, which we notice as we take the tunnel under the road and then we walk past high rises around Baptist End, before picking up Saltwells Country Park again.

Four caches in here which we do find.  The terrain turns to unexpected heathland, before picking up the canal again.

Heathland
Yes, we are in Dudley
The canal drops us down into a council estate, before picking up the final couple of caches of the day in very nice woodlands, that bring us back to the carpark, where I make a new friend.

New Friend
 
 
A surprisingly varied walk, with some real nature spots amongst the industrial heritage.  I am sure I will be here again - I can drop off Ellie for shopping, whilst I do something more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment