Thursday 27 December 2012

27/12/12 - Death by Horse

Distance - 5 Miles
Geocaches - 15 out of 18
Lunch - Turkey Sandwiches and Mince Pies, of course
Conditions - Somme Like


This was going to be a walk free day, in preparation for much heralded but decidely complex to organise "Progressive Party".  However, due to increased outbreaks of NoroVirus in the Worcestershire area, this has been postponed.

If you listen very caerfully you will hear my liver crying "Thank the lord for that".  It was either my liver, or the recycling men, who have a hell of a job on when they go back to work.

So, knowing we have a free day, we check out a local cache round and decide on the Bordsely Park Circular - just shy of Redditch.  Next thing to check is the weather.  Curtains open and guess what, it's raining again.  The forecast, which have been deadly accurate, predict it will stop in Worcestershire at Midday.  I'll take the time to read a bit more on Henry VIII then.

We leave and park up at just shy of noon and bang on, it stops raining.  Head up Dagnell End Road and find the first cache at the stile to get us out into the fields.  If you look very closely at the route, you will see how far we got before taking a diversion.  The fields are saturated at the next field boundary there is a newly formed lake and no way through.  A quick retrace of steps gets us past this obstacle, but you cannot help but think there will be more drama on the way.

The caches come close together.  We get to number four and find that the lid has had better days.

Busted Cache
Sonia doesn't come caching often, but gets upset when they are bust
.
We are now at Lower Rowley Green.  We have to cross the field which has a number of paths across, however the lovely owners have criss crossed it with temporary fencing to keep the horses separate.  Not that there are any horses in the field.  I find out that they are electrified when I dangle my testicles on one of them.  Without coming over all Max Mosley, it wasn't that unpleasant an experience.

It does mean that we have to alter our route and I leave Sonia behind to head off and find the one nearer Rowley Green.  Liked the sign on the building.

The Cure
Checked to see what they had for Norovirus
 
Get back and Sonia has declared it time for lunch.  Not a bad idea.  We are going traditional this Xmas and eating Turkey everyday.  As I blog, Sonia has headed out for the ingredients for Turkey Pie. 
 

Lunch
Lunch for three
 
We enter the next field and after more electric fences, actually meet with a horse.  Regular blog fans will know my fear of the hooved ones and it's almost as though I have had a premonition.
 
This one comes over and I try and shoo it away from the dog.  It then starts bucking its fore and rear legs and takes a punt at me, missing my head by milimeters.  My life flashes before my eyes.  I'm too young to meet my maker in a muddy field in Worcestershire.  The horse legs it, charging around the field like a lunatic.  We go and get crotch tingle, taking an alternative path through the fences.
 
The French have the right idea.... and when our continental themed culinary nights reaches France - I know what I am ordering.  I am hoping its this one.
 
 

Evil Horse
Answers to the name of Frisky
 
We leave this evil place behind, offering directions to a fag smoking Peugeot driver who cannot find Bordsley Hall.  In the spirit of the season, we inform that "Its Behind You".
 
More fields, no livestock, loads of caches and a bit of road walking down to Beoley Hall.  A tricky field to cross that is both covered in long grass and is completely flooded. 
 

Dodgy Field
Tricky Underfoot
 
 
A couple more caches as we reach the main road at Dagnel End Farm and thankfully the cache instructions show us that we can avoid the road and walk on the opposite golf course.  However, from this point on, we miss out on the last three - two of which I am fairly sure have gone.  Why else would there be stones in a tree if not to hide a cache!
 
Get back to the car just as the heavens open again.  Thanks to dadu 13 for setting up this round and providing an excuse to get some much needed fresh air.
 
I now look forward to my pie and the opportunity to research the finest horse related recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment