Wednesday 26 December 2012

26/12/12 - A Walk in the Million

Distance - 10.5
Caches - 6
Walk from - Country Walking Magzine

Yesterdays plan must have worked.  We had the code word "Sparrow" that the family would use when it became clear that I had had too much Xmas day wine.  Sparrow was duly used at just about the right time at 9pm, as I felt as fit as a fiddle for this 10 mile epic from Kinver.  Thanks again to Family Onions for their wonderful hospitality.

I thought the only thing that could stop me was the weather.  Sonia provided me with the forecast that the next tranche of biblical rain was due at midday, so I headed out.  First obstacle to overcome is that the main road into Kniver is blocked, due to a landslide.

Never mind - manage to squeeze the merc up the world's tiniest lane and swing around to park up in the high street.  Head out past the rugby club and meet the second obstacle of the day.

Dont think the cache will have survived
There is a cache over the other side of the field


This presents a small problem, as the route is straight over this.  I attempt to go around the edges and get very close to where the cache is, but no joy - just too deep.  I think its a gonner.  Forced to retrace my steps and go around the road to Hyde Lane, picking up a different footpath.

The walk is a very mixed bag of different environments.  We start with ancient woodland around the Hyde.

Woodland

And move on across fields to the Canal at the Stew Pony. This is a particluarly pleasant part of the Staff-Worcs canal and makes for easy walking. There are four caches along the way, but the first two are missed out because of the high muggle count. Cache three is up a tree. I climb the wrong one. The sight of a 43 year old man clambering up a tree made a labradoodle cry. Cache found up the second tree. Move on and the final cache along this stretch is guarded by very noisy dogs. Thankfully a quick find and the first of two identical containers.

Guarder of the Cache
Glad the water is between us.
 
 
Leave Prestwood bridge behind and have a climb up to the Million.  This is a proper forest and I have walked here before.  There are three caches to find and I get them all - even if they have all been nibbled by creatures.  Nice walking.
 

Million
The Million
 
Attack Enville from the North.  Its just before midday and people are queing to get into the Cat.  A couple of months ago we did the cache trail from this starting point.  I was hoping to get the DNFs from last time, but as it is Boxing Day, its muggle central.  There are scores of families all out in the mud.
 
I do manage one previous DNF - so quite pleaseed about this.  Midday arrives and the heavens open as predicted.  I have to admire the accuracy of today's weathermen.
 
Don't mind the fact that these are recent paths for me... the Staffordshire way offers fine walking.  Eventually, I am brought out onto the back of a housing estate in Kinver. 
Staff Way
Staffs Way on my Brain
 
Home for 1pm.  Not allowed to shower just yet, as Ellie is sleeping off her 6am start for work.  Gives me just enough time to blog before the next family gathering.  I have vowed that the code word will not need to be used tonight.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment