Saturday 1 December 2012

01/12/12 - Chipper

Distance - 10.2 Miles
Geocaches - 12
Walk Inspiration

Chipping Campden



It was going to be a walk down river from Worcester today.  However, the river is a bit broader than usual, so I don't think the paths will be passable.  Instead, I seek out the high ground, thinking first of Bredon Hill, but then working out that I haven't been to Chipping Campden for a long time.

Its the start of the Cotswold way and this route from www.walkingworld.com is a perfect introduction, providing a superb circular walk for the first stretch to Broadway.

Woken early by the eerie glow of Sonia playing scrabble on her phone and check on the weather through the bedroom window.  It's a winter wonderland, so its fleece lined trousers and micro fleece shirt under the soft shell.  Come downstairs to rouse the dog and I am the poster boy for Craghoppers - a candidate for "Mr Winter" in their new calendar.  Get in the car and its -0.5C.  I may have slighly  overreacted to the frost.

Familar drive and park up in the street.  It seems too good to be true that there is free parking in this town.  Walk down to the market hall for cache number one.

Town Centre
Chipping Campden Town Centre
We leave the town behind, spying where the post walk pint will be had, and take the Cotswold path up to Drovers Hill.  Looks like there are some spooky goings on in town.

Freaky Stuff
Campden - Twinned with Summer Isle
Climb up to Dover's Hill.  Get the first glimpse of Broadway Tower in the distance - this is where we are off to.  Its either very small, or very far away.
  

Views
Broadway Tower - Far Away
Dover Hill has some great views to the North and I have it to myself this morning.

Broadway
Dover Hill

This soon leads into Mile Drive. One cache on the way and three along the path. I've always liked Mile Drive but not sure why. Its a broad green path that turns into muddy fields with not too much to see along it. I think I like it because its a drive and its a mile. I do see my first walkers of the day when fetching a cache - an old fella who looks like he is carrying all is worldly goods in a steel framed rucksack. In conversation, I determine he is walking the same route as me from the Broadway end. It's still to be determined why he is carrying so much stuff.

Mile Drive
Molly at the start of Mile Drive

Cross over the top of Fish Hill and then see the first views of Broadway Tower.  Fine walking and fine views.

First Climpse of the Tower Broadway Tower
My favourite Walking Place
Its all downhill to Broadway and the walkers are all out in force, puffing their way uphill whilst we bound down, taking in the views. We only skirt the town, quickly heading north east and uphill, taking in a few more caches. This is fine, fine walking - taking a ridge path alongside a golf course and the first time I have been along here.

P1020063
Nice Views
It all up and down on the stretch back to Chipping Campden.  Having gained the height, we lose it down Buckle Street, where I find my first Travel Bug Hotel under the nose of a 4x4er taking in the views.  We then have to climb again past Knapp Farm house for a couple of micros. 

The last strecth is a repeat of the outward stretch, taking in Dover's Hill before hitting the town.  I have an emergency fiver, which will not stretch to produce from the butty shop, but will buy me liquid gold.

Well Earned Pint
Joy Unbound

No comments:

Post a Comment