Saturday 3 November 2012

3/11/12 - Roundhead, or Cavalier?

Distance - 7.2 Miles
Geocaches - 7 found, 1xDNF, 1 GeoCoin
Walk From - 100 Hill Walks around Birmingham
Inspiration


23rd October 1642, the Parliamentary and Royalist forces bumped into each other in a vale under the shadow of Edgehill, Warwickshire.  The skirmish was the first of the English Civil War and by nightfall, a thousand were left dead and the battle petered out to a draw.

On 3rd November 2012, I was awoken at 2am by a nightclubbing student returning home and then at 4am by a heeby-geeby suffering adolescent shouting "GET OFF THE SOFA" at the top of his voice. 

I then got up properly at 7am to hear the sound of rain on the conservatory roof and headed off to Warwickshire to the moans of "Where's my bloody toast" being shouted from upstairs.

Tine to get things in perspective....  it could be worse, I could be on a countrywide tour of all the UKs universities and polytechnics. 

The weather is not a problem.... it gives me the chance to test my latest ebay bargain.  A Montane Atomic jacket sniped for 1/5th of its retail price.  It's selling point is that it rolls up to the size of an apple.  I showed Sonia.  She grumbled, "Bloody big apple".

I can only assume the moon is entering the wrong phase.

This walk soon sets my spirits right.  I park up in the village of Radway, where the royalist forces were positioned.  Nice looking village, thatched buildings and very quiet.

Head up the hill, discovering where the shop keeper from "League of Gentlemen" has been buried.

Local Grave, for Local People
Enter fields and I can see that I have the climb early in the walk.

Big Apple Jacket - Edge Hill Behind
Pull myself up to the top and can see that they have put a warning sign up for any antipodeans thinking of entering the field.

Country Folk, Country Ways
Over the above stile and into the woods, turning left onto a ridge path.  This is the centenary way and a damn fine path, leading to Camp Hill.  It was from here that Charles 1 was said to have watched the battle.  Good spot for it..... the killing was 1/2 mile away.

A little road walking and a detour to get the first cache of the day.  Retrace my steps and then have to cross ploughed fields to get reach Ratley.  Bad underfoot, but decent views and caches along the way.

Ratley is even better than Radway.  It has a pub.  The pub was built in the 11th Century.  1000 years of British Boozing.

Brings a patriotic tear to your eye.
Head out of the village at Manor Farm.  Some uninspiring road walking to Upton House, where I follow an extended family of cachers as they make their way to the booty.  The sight of all the kids excitedly looking for the treasure makes me think of my two.  One is playing his xBox in his pants and the other is drinking cups of tea in the bath.

A very short, but incredibly dangerous bit of roadwalking on A422 at Sun Rising hill is a shame but this is made up for when we pick up the ridge walk and Centenary way at the opposite end.  This is stunning walking... the sun has come out and the vale below is swathed in sunlight.

Kings Eye View of the Battlefield
Drop down and I can see an obelisk and investigate, thinking its to do with the Civil War.

Nope - Waterloo based memorial
There is a cache here, but its not been found for a while, last person recorded a DNF and I couldn't find it either.  Head back to the path and look behind me.  The castle, is a pub.

I'd go in, if my boot weren't covered in mud and cow pats
Instead, I make do with the views and thoughts of the battle.

Lovely
Get back to the car and head out past Kineton MOD to find the memorial to the battle.  It's on the side of the road and I am surprised.  Not so much by the flowers, but the strength of the sentiment.

Memorial
Bet they have Charles and Di Tea Towells
The walk has exceeded my expectations.  Great walking with a bit of history thrown in.  Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment