Sunday 21 October 2012

21/10/12 - Boggy and Foggy

Distance - 7.4 Miles
Geocaches - 3
Walk From - Walk 13 from The Severn Valley, Peter Kerr


Need a local walk so pick up one of the first books that I bought.  This the eighth time that is provided inspiration but the first time that I have looked at it since 2005.  I didn't blog then.  I'll have to go back and repeat the other 7 walks.

Busy day, so out at 8am.  Decide to look for free parking in Bewdley.  An impossible challenge.  The high street allows parking for 1 hour and the lane I need to go down at the back of the boat club had lots of warnings about clamping.  Oh well, it was only £2.30 at the main car park, although this did eat into my post walking bacon sarnie money to such an extent that I had to make my own on my return. 

Eerie start once I do get going, with a low mist over the river.

Hardly likely to challenge Lindsay Pulley for best photo this year
Over the bridge, through the caravan park and then up steepley over the SVR line.  Pick up country lanes on the way to Grey Green Farm and then have a muddy tramp through a boggy quagmire.

Squelch
New highlight of the walk is Wassell Wood.  There is a geocache in the middle but no marked paths on the OS Map.  All is revealed when getting to GZ and its a nice, steep uphill walk through the woodland to pick up the bounty.

9 years serious walking and still finding new places within 4 miles
There is a hillfort marked on the map but Peter Kerr assures me that it was built in 1250 to provide a moat for medieval houses.  I'll take his word for it, it now just an earthmound.  On normal days, it would provide decent views but not today.

Pick up lanes around Trimpley which are a touch scary as the cars don't slow down for the fog.  Maybe a black jacket wasn't the cleverist idea at all.  I was going to go through Bite Farm to get a closer look at the horned ones but the stiles were most dog unfriendly.

More unusual animals
This means more roadwalking and I take an extension to pick up cache number 2.  Rewarded with a Travel Bug.

Retrace steps and more excellent walking downhill on a new path through the woods to Trimpley resevoir.  Turn left and follow the river downsteam all the way back to town.

The path alternates between a lane and the river edge.  As I pass a house I can here a tremedous row from inside.  I stay for a while to make sure no-one is being murdered.  Its a right humdinger between a teenage girl and her mom.

How pleased I am that we didn't bring up a tantrumer.  Ours is known for a footstomp when hairstyles don't go to plan for we don't get that level of abuse.

Soon back in town, wet footed with a lack of photos.  Cache 3 is a drive by at the SVR station.

The fog does lift for this afternoons football games where we get to see Alex's trademark "dink down the wing pass" in all its glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment