Saturday 29 September 2012

29/09/12 - Roman Roaming

Distance - 5.5 Miles
Inspiration - Sky Atlantic - the British and on-line route
Geocaches - 4
Post Walk Refreshments - Cup of tea and a teacake


I am getting my walking inspiration from increasingly bizarre reference points.  Last week, I caught up with a new series on Sky about the history of the British and thought - there you go, how about a Roman inspired walk.  A quick google and I was reminded of the history of the Droitwich, where the Roman's mined for Salt from an undergound lake.  So this walk had a Roman hillfort, salt workings, Fosse Way roman road and a villa at Bays Meadow.

The greatest part of the walk was the weather.  Stunning blue skies and not a cloud in the sky.

The route suggested parking at the Robin Hood.  As I am up at 7am because of Ellie's first return from University and her mother's agitation that she is going to mess up her three train journey home, I decide its a bit too early to park at a pub.  Instead, I park up near St Augustine Church near the town centre.

Head up to the church, taking in cache one of the day which is a little off the path. Emerge from the bush with 10 seconds to spare before an embarassing muggling.

Around the church, under the A38 and a couple of dodgy fields.  Field 1 is full of horses, cows and one bull.  The horses hassle us, the bull is lay down admiring his heifers.  Field 2 has been recently ploughed and it one of those leg sapping walks across an earthy mud pit.  Relief is found at a golf course next to the Fosse Way.

Fore!
A couple of caches along the next few fields.  I also have to navigate a shoulder high field of my new favourite foodstuff, Sweetcorn.  The path is good, but the high amount of morning dew on the leaves means that I am thoroughly soaked on my exit.

The caches dry up but I did notice a "worldwide challenge" of having your photo taken on a footbridge.  To be fair, that's not much of a challenge is it?

Easy Peasey.
Past the farm shop at Walkmills Farm and out onto the A38.  The Robin Hood shows evidence of the time of year.

86 Shopping Days left
Up to Rashwood Farm.  Give way to a grumpy fag smoking tractor driver.  Maybe he doesn't appreciate roman explorers on his land.  Then around the back of the Chateau Impney Hotel, completed in 1875 by the latest King of Salt.

A nice bit of walking along the River Salwarpe and then canals to bring me out in the Town Centre.  If you look carefully, there are a lot of monuments to the Salt Industy and former salt workings in the town centre. 

Mappiman on the right
I was going to recreate the pose on the plinth but a couple of OAPs feeding the ducks were looking at me.

Across in the towncentre for a handily positioned cafe.  Get my mug of tea, just a scooter bound pensioners messes up her reverse to the next table and sends all the tables flying.  Her harried husband shouted "Mavis" at her in an angry tone.

I have my teacake and consider whether I found any roman inspiration on my walk.  I did find a sandal in the aforementioned ploughed field.  But it was made of plastic.

Lets see what inspiration the next episode brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment