Sunday 23 September 2012

23/09/12 - Edvin Loach is not a Victorian

Distance - 10.6 Miles
Geocaches - 1
Walk from - Julie Royle's Walks in Worcestershire

Bringsty Common



A bit of a dull walk today.  Weather is dull, walking is dull.  Lacking in Geocaching.  Oh well, after a good Friday night out and a fine day at the albion yesterday, I don't suppose that you can have a completely successful weekend.

At least I got home half an hour before the predicted rain started at 12:30.  Just got to go out in it to watch the boy play football today.

Park up at the Live and Let Live.  The high number of pubs on the route make me think that it would be a good bike ride out here.  14.5 miles and around 6 really good pubs.  Would need a support team to bring me back.  I have tried riding a bike drunk before.  I fell off.

There is a polish man in a polish van who is living in the parking area before the pub.  I know this, as when I get back, he is still in his van with his sleeping bag airing out of the windows.

There are also some killer sheep.

Nasty Pointy Teeth
Cross the road and head out across the Bromyard Downs to Bond's Dingle and Home House.  Walking is OK - not marked on the map really but common land so you just have to find your way on the ground.

Get first views of the day on the way to Badley Wood Common.

Get in the photo, hound.
Badley Wood Common is a nightmare.  Julie's book has the worst sort of hand drawn maps, and again with it being a common, there is no real marked footpaths on the map.  We climb on a faint trail that get increasing dense with ferns and notice the path over a high stile into racing horses fields.  I hoike the dog over the fence but the horses come running at us and the dog refuses to go any further.  Don't blame her.  I really dislike horses.  Back the way we came and a mental clamber through ferns to pick up the road to Tedstone Delamare.  Added a mile onto the route and road walking but at least I did take the route of a previously more successful walk.

After about 2 miles of road, I pick up the church at Edvin Loach.  It says on the map that it is the "reamins off" but to be fair, from a distance, it looks in really good nick.  The route doesn't take me close enough to look properly.

Down past New House Farm.  What a smell of slurry.  I have no idea how farmers can live with that stencth.  It was enough to make you hurl.

The walk picks up as we cross over into Bromyard downs.  Lots of people out with dogs and once you get to Shepherds Pool, there are stunning views in all directions.  Just needed a clearer day.

Remind me not to stand in front of trees.

Pass an unexpected cafe that provides a place to rest and take in the views, if only it wasn't out of commission.

Me on Friday Night
They have cake
Drop down into the grounds of Brockhampton Estate.  Again, planning this part of the walk was impossible but there are organised way marked routes when you get there.  I needed to skirt past Lawn Pool to pick up the only cache of the round, a nice large one for a TB hidded by the National Trust.

A bit more common walking and back at the car. 

My polish friend is having a cup of tea.  How will he entertain himself living in a van on a layby?


No comments:

Post a Comment