Sunday 9 September 2012

09/09/12 - Character Building

Distance - 7.5 Miles
Geocaches - 14, 1xDNF, 2xTrackables
Walk Inspiration

Cheltenham Racecourse and Cleeve Hill



I am usually down this way for the Festival, a traditional boys day out day in the calendar every March.  Whilst the other men kill time in the bar by playing the sport of kings that is "chase the ace", I take my Guinness and look longingly over the hills that surround the course.

The first year I was invited, in 2009,  was probably our most successfull day.  With strict instructions not to spend more than £30 on gambling from Sonia, I quickly determined I was going to be betting in a syndicate that had a £10 minimum stake for each race.  There are 7 races.

Each person took it in turns to pick a horse and the £70 pot was put on an eachway bet.  We had a placement in every race apart from the one where we allowed Paul "Unlucky Alf" Reading to have a go.  By the time we got to the last race, a novice hurdle, we had quite a sizeable pot built up.  Now it may have been the Guinness or the recklessness that comes from building kitchens for a living, but there was a suggestion from one of the party that we put the entire winnings pot on a horse to win. 

Like the cautious brummies on Bullseye, I claimed that "we had a smashing day" and convinced everyone that we should continue in the same vein.  The horse chosen was  "Character Building" and the £35 each way bet was applied.

It romped home at 16-1.

Now we should have been grateful that we came back each with a sizeable pot (one that I stuggled to explain how I developed from a £30 stake) but it could have been so much more.  As I attempted to eat my Chicken and Mushroom at the local Indian, all I could mutter was "Character Building". 

Repeatedly.

The walk today allowed me to get up into those hills and to remember the many subsequent great days we have had and no doubt continue to have now that it is tradition.  Roll on March.

www.walkingworld.com once again provided the inspiration.  Park up at the Bank in Prestbury and head down quiet lanes to the race course.  Spy a decent looking pub for post walk refreshments opposite the Church.  The first cache of the day is found - part of a loop of 100 that appeared around three months ago.  No doubt I will be back.

Across a field and I reach the perimter of the racecourse.  Another cache in a tree and I drop off a TB.  Work my way around in a clock wise manner, following the signs for the "Jog with your Dog" event that is taking place.

Think we have our first "Refusal" of the day

A couple more caches along the path besides the side of the road.  Get my only DNF along here but there a lot of car boot muggles in the area. 

On the OS map it says that there is a dismantled railway line but it looks to be in good working order to me.  Must have been quite nice to turn up at the races by railway.

Certainly seems to be no dismantled.
I think there is a cache down near the track but it turns out that the path is up the top.  I walk down the railway line to the end and realise my mistake.  Can't be bothered to go back the way that I came, so I climb over the fence at the end.  Didn't notice the man in his tower and he expressed his disapproval by dinging his bell at me.

Molly gets the first chance to cool off, whilst I retrieve another cache.

Hot day for a doodle
This stretch provides the best views of both the race course and the hills that we are about to climb.


Coming around to the home straight
At Shaw Green we head North towards Southam passing an impressive house with a horse statue in the front of the grounds.

Who Lives Here?  Answers on a postcard please
We then have the anticipated climbing up the hill.  Still, it is in beautifully shaded woods and we see some exotic animals, that start with a gorgeous red deer, move to three llamas and end with some pedestrian sheep.


Wasn't quick enough with the camera for the deer.
We walk under the cliff edge, watching the abseilers and smug people who have made it to the top.  This is exceptional walking, with views across to the Malverns, which seem to get better as every foot of ascent is gained.

Shepherd's Views
Walking is seldom better than this
More caches around Thrift Woods and then we climb to the very top of the cliff edge and walk alongside the golf players back the way we came.

Breather Needed
I had a go at a cache up here a couple of years ago and failed.  I recognise GZ and have another attempt but nearly have to call of the hunt. As I am hidden by the foliage a couple come along the path and start snogging.  To avoid the police helicopter being scrambled, I stay very still and quiet until they move off.  Its amazing how long people can kiss for.  When they have gone, I find the cache and even after 2300 finds, you can sometimes find one that is unique.  Fantastic effort for this.

Then its a case of dropping back down the hill and into Prestbury.  I promised myself a pint at the Plough and it was well needed with my other form of hydration having run out a good hour ago.

Two forms of hydration - but which is the best?
Just knock the top off my pint when she of don't waste more than £30 on the horses sends me a text.

"Can I mow the lawns when I get back?"

And in case I forget, the mower is out and ready when I pull up at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment