Sunday 12 August 2012

12/08/12 - Keep Ryton

Distance - 7.5 Miles
Geocaches
First Cache on Trail
First Cache of the Day

Kemberton - Ryton



Been a while since I have completed a larger cache trail and need to get the August numbers up.  At Xmas time, I did a round from Shifnal and knew there were other trails in the area.... and a recent publishing of 50 caches in Telford had me looking at this area.... I'll save this one for another day.

Head off at 8am and park up in the centre of Kemberton, near the church.  The OS map has a footpath through the houses but I can't find it on the ground and start the day by walking up and down the street.... Not a great start, if I can't even find the paths!  Eventually find another way around and pick up the first cache of the day in a newly trimmed hay field.  There are 5 or 6 caches not on the trail that can be found before the first one at Kemberton Mill.

Not yet on the trail
Despite the first one of the round being huge, I still manage a DNF.... doubly annoying as its the only one on the route that has a trackable in it.  There's too many caches to blog about but there is a huge variety of containers and sizes.... lots of work but in by nozi parkerz & younggunz:-), so thanks for that.  I have no idea where you would have got hold of the recepticle for my particular favourite....

It is Brucie, isn't it?


Enjoy the walk down Wesley Brook... great paths and I have it absolutely to myself.   The area reminds by of Rindleford near Bridgnorth, where you follow water to hidden houses and hamlets.

From Grindleforge, we take a permissive path that isn't marked on the map.  This is great walking that I would never had of found if it wasn't for caching.

Grindle Forge

Soon come into Ryton.  Lots of big houses, a church but alas, no pub.  I won't be moving there anytime soon.

Start heading back north along another great bridleway.  As per every other walk that I have completed this summer, the heavens open again.  Get a royal soaking and the appeal of diving into bushes and getting water dripping down your neck starts to have me losing the appeal of caching.  The flies and stingers aren't helping much either.

Crossing back over the Hinnington Road, I disturb two motorcyclist that have stopped for an impromptu toilet break.  Makes a change for me to muggle someone else.  Wouldn't mind, but this was at another GZ but decide not to look for this one.

Then its all roads back through Evelith, stopping caching when I reach the final one, number 35, even though there are some that are on the start of a new trail.

There is a rule for calculating walking time - which is three miles per hour, with 1 minute for every 10 mins of ascent and 1 minute for every 20 metres of descent.  I think I am going to add caching into this formula, as I have been out for 4 hours and 8 mins for a 7.5 mile walk, missing the start if the traditional curtain raiser for the new football season!

No comments:

Post a Comment