Wednesday 8 August 2012

08/08/12 - Pilgrimage

Distance - 3.7 Miles
Geocaching - A disastrous 4 out of 12.  But we did see 2 more.
First Cache

Tanworth in Arden



There was a reason for being here.  I have been looking at the greatest albums of each year and Nick Drake's 1969 debut release of "5 Leaves Left" came out in 2nd place, behind Abbey Road.  Abbey Road is rubbish... too much McCartney and Ringo and not enough Lennon.  Maxwell's Silver Hammer is enough to make you turn it off.  So, I have been listening to this stoner classic that sold only 5000 copies on release and investigated the man.  Any artist who dies young, in a suspected suicide, is going to gain notoriety and public interest has increased over the years.  My research led me to find out he lived, died and is buried in Tanworth in Arden - only 16 miles away.

Its also my birthday, where traditionally family Mappiman are forced to come on a walk.  Whether they like it or not.  I looked in my pub walks in Warwickshire and found a likely route, but then also spied a cache trail that starts and ends here.  But oh, how I wish I researched it more.

The Caches and Walk
The cache trail is called "Interesting Places" and made up of 11 caches.  The details say to expect a challenge, but having four of us (five with dog) made me more confident.  From the pretty village green we head down paths to Cache 1.  Well hidden but soon found.  Then the first problems are encountered - the path to the next cache is completely overgrown with stingers and thorny bushes.  I plowed through to find cache 2 solo, but it took the stragglers a long time to catch up... with Alex deciding to make his own path.

But he needed his mom to get him back over

A brave attempt by the boy at Cache three, where he made it to the first landing zone and then bottled it and I had a go at cache four, but needed wellies.  How tantalisingly close it is to see them but not be mad enough to go and get them!

Nice bit of lane walking, where we picked up a non trail related cache that revealed a "Geocaching Makes You Happy" TB.  Gave it to Ellie to remind her why she is here.

We are at the turning point to go back to the village - again on a badly overgrown path.  We skirted round where we could.  We did not find any more caches until back in the village, although the family liked my attempt at the one with the clue that was only "Tarzan".  Lets just say a nearly 43 man should not be hanging off the vines of a tree next to a watery ditch.

With failing light, the need for a boat and the pub beckoning, we made our way home..... waiting for Ellie to catch up as she battled the stingers.

Ellie is a long way back....

An entertaining series but too much for us!  Thanks to the mwahppets and we heeded their advice that just cause a cache is there, you don't need to go for it!

Dog is scared of the Dark

The Pilgrimage
The cache trail took me to where I wanted to go.  We passed the house where Nick Drake lived and died.  Alex wants to know if we can live around here, but I guess I'd need to start saving for a very big mortgage.

Outside Chez Drake
Arrive in the village (hoiking to boy up for the last cache) and the rest of the cachers say they have no interest in the churchyard.  I leave them in the car and soon find the final resting place, nicely understated with just a couple of music related memorials.

My best find of the day
Celebration
The family are not just in it for my pleasure.  Ellie has not looked into the caches or the music but she has found a decent looking pub close by - the Warwickshire Lad.  Sonia's suggestions were equally good, but unfortunately not in the same county.

We arrived at 8:10pm and were able to sit on a nice patio facing west to see the sunset.  The service and food were excellent, with the landlady making a real fuss of the dog.  The dog was more interested in my meal.

Celebrate.... With a Crisp related starter.

No comments:

Post a Comment