Sunday 1 July 2012

01/07/12 - Three things to do in the woods

Distance - 7 Miles
Geocaches - Found 15, embarassingly DNF 6.
Walk inspiration

Ashorne Geocaching



So, I like to start the month off by getting some geocaches in early.  Use http://www.geocachetrails.com/ to find a local round, but I am having to go further and further to find an undiscovered trail.  45 miles to Warwickshire today, for a round based on Honda motorcycles.  Dog must know its a long way away, as she hides whilst I am making the pre-caching cup of tea.

Park up outside the pub in Ashorne.  Two steaks and a bottle of wine for £28.95.  Head off down the road to get the first three, before taking a footpath into fields.  The fields are very overgrown, but do open out slightly when I find a boat parked in a field in Warwickshire.

Lots of rain lately, but Noah has peaked too early
Loose the path as I approach the M40 and have to double back to avoid my first DNF.
So far, overgrown fields and the sound of the motorway but spirits are lifted when I disturb a deer and see its heading bobbing through the wheat like a kangeroo, making good his escape.

First DNF of the day at the motorway bridge, but to be fair, I just want to get away from the drone.

More fields as I move my way to Bishops Tachbrook, but at least this time there is a clear cutting through the fields of wheat. 

At least I know the way
The walk now moves through a housing estate.  Not much to see in Bishops Tachbrook and after finding the footpath between the houses, I cross a sheep field to meet the Banbury road.  From a walking perspective, things get even worse, as I now have half a mile of dodgy road walking.  As the cars speed past, I am kind of glad that I have left the geohound at home.

The walk does pick up when I enter Oakley woods.  After the fields, houses and roads, this is great walking.  I can tell this by the amount of dog walkers here.  I meet a lady that has two labradoodles with her and comment that I have one at home, but she's too lazy to come.  She looks around and asks what I am walking, looking disturbed when I say "nothing".  Alan Partridge reckons there is only three things to do in woods, and I think it's crossed her mind that I might be up to one of the other two things, suicide or dogging.

Realise that time is getting on and text home to say that I won't make my 12pm curfew.  Sonia comments that's fine, as I am not needed until 1pm and she deliberately knocked an hour off to make sure I won't be late.  The words of George W Bush come to mind....

"Fool me once, shame on you.... Fool me twice... err.... won't get fooled again".

Best cache of the day is close to the wonderfully named Wiggerland Wood.  Struggle to find the path that takes me past Ashorne Hill College, an impressive building and good walking through the park.

Soon back at the village.... back at the car with no time for the steak.

Geovehicle and Pub
Good series of caches, so thanks MARROW BONE for the setup and maintenance.

No comments:

Post a Comment