Tuesday 26 June 2012

26/06/12 - Looking for Adventure in Surrey

Distance - 5 Miles
Geocaches - 3
Pubs - 3
Nightlife - Minimal
Walk Inspiration

Godamling to Guidford



Working down in Surrey and looking for somewhere interesting to stay.  So I settle on Godalming.  I have never been here before.  It looks like it might be better than Guidford, where my customer is, and tonights walk will allow me to compare.

The walk is vert straightforward along the River Wey and its navigation.  Very flat walking.  as I don't arrive at the Royal and Kings Arms Hotel until late, its a very quick change into walking gear and find my way down the high street to the river.

Lots of canoists at first and then solitude.  Just the usual artifacts that accompany a river/canal.

Come on Surrey Vandals - where's your Y
Nothing of any interest to report really, apart from a quick cache on a bridge.  Walk into a field of horses that has a sign saying that if they are not removed by 11/7/12, they will be sold at auction and all costs will be claimed by the national trust.  One of them strangely reminds me of the boy.
Boy

Horse
Find a place for half time refreshments.  The stratching are stale.  But then again, we are a long way from Tipton.

Take me to the Black Country
Head off and find cache number 2 at a WWII Pill box.  You have to say that if the Nazi's had made it this far into the homelands, then we would have been done for.

Public Image Limited

More canal and then we reach the civilisation that is Guidford, passing the world's most rubbish bridge.  I mean, what is the point, I could have leapt it.

Too small for a troll.
Guildford proper.  Stop at the Navigation for Tea proper, served by a student with low slung jeans revealing stripey pants.  Pity he had a beard.  Text home to get the train times and theres one in 10 mins, so hot foot it to the station for a £3.10 return back to Godalming and a cache at the station.

Then I look for night time entertainment.  There is latina music blaring from the 1st pub on route and its salsa night.  Unfortunately, there are just the two dancers and I am unsure if Surrey operate a "gentlemen's excuse me".  Next pub has no music.  And no punters.

I am forced to go home and order a last pint of doom bar and blog.  As I order, I hear the story of a man who was found asleep in the bar, asked to go home and was then found dead.  I hope he wasn't drinking doom bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment