Wednesday 16 May 2012

16/5/12 – Ben

Distance – 8 Miles
Walk from - Trail Magazine - Feb 2009
Geocaches – 2 and 1 that was stolen
Onward Journey – 168 Miles
Listening to….
…. American Recordings V (100 Highways)
….. Radio 6 (Mark Radcliffe)
….. Depeche Mode, Some Great Reward (Old School)
…. The The, Soul Mining (For a Singalong)

Last Night
Sorry to say that I am a touch disappointed in Pitlcohry.  Initially, I was impressed by the size of the place and as I drove in, I saw the Old Smiddy and the Old Mill Inn and was impressed by both.  On closer investigation, they turned out to be the worst type if gastro pubs, where everyone was sitting down eating. 

My food was going to be a Chinese.  I asked the nice asian man in the newsagents if there was a chinese in town and he took me out the shop and pointed directly opposite.  Mumbling something in Indian about tourists.  Joy was short lived, as they close on Tuesday.

So, it was the Prince of India for the worlds hottest Chicken Patia.  Yes, Stourport Blog Fans, I added the name of the dish to the type of meat.  I then had an extended walk around, looking at the stupidly priced trinkets (£70 for a cow statue) and then popped into the Kingfisher for a pint and the crossword.  Gave up after I filled in 11 down, false teeth – with the answer Gnashers.  It fit.

Back to the Rosemount for a duvet evening.  Fantastic bed and the Sopranos.  And biscuits.

The Walk

Ben Vrackie



A Corbett today.  This is a Scottish Mountain between 2500 and 3000ft.  Ben Vrackie is just shy of this total at 2759.  I can see it from my hotel carpark, so decide to add on a couple of miles and leave the car here.

I’ve never tackled a mountain by walking through a council estate before.  Get to the Moulin Inn and see exactly where the comedown pint will be consumed.

P1000712
Mountain, Brewery, hog, heaven.

The walk gets going proper and can be broken down into thirds.  The first third is through woods and forest.  All gently uphill.  This leads to the second stage which is wild scrubland. 

P1000713
Forest Complete

The walking is serious now, we know this because there is a sign.

P1000714
Its Ok - I've had am FSB.

The only warning I need is that my heart may have a reaction to all of my cooked breakfasts.  Fortunately, benches are provided for a contemplation.

P1000716
Sit with me a while

Geocache 1 leads to failure, but the last two logs have also failed.  Instead of a cache, there are two bottles of water – so none of us are too sure what is happening here.

To make the walk interesting, we do a loop of a hillock with a very long scottish name.  This leads to Loch a Choire and provides good photo opps.  Cache is found under a great big rock.  Lovely log book stretching back to 2006.  In the early days of caching, people used to write a story in the log books.  Now that they are everywhere, we just have peoples names.

Stage 3 is the climb up the side of the mountain.  A great path but quite hard work.  I meet a 70 year old fella on the top and most of the traffic I see is on the way back down, when I even see an old fella climbing it with a shirt and tie under his Berghaus.

The climb is worth it for full on 360 degree panoramic views and the 2nd cache of the day.  Spend as long as I can until my fingers freeze and I get too cold to operate the camera.  Most photos will go on everytrail.

P1000724
Finger on the Trig
P1000731
When I am back next time.... those.

Route back down is straightforward and soon picks up the upward paths.  I run out of water and can’t wait till I get to the brewery.  I have heard about their Braveheart Ale and if the money runs to it (there is a dead brazilian in the bottom of my water carrier), I will have a sandwich.  Menus are all laid out.  Chicken Sandwich is £8.95.  Bravehearts all round.

P1000734
Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom.

The Journey
Although not as spectacular as the previous two journeys, this one does have its highlights.  I am in the hands of sat nav and haven’t looked at the way it will take me.  Slightly disappointed to be coming down through Edinburgh without staying, but the drive across the Forth Bridge was stunning.  Local laws stopped me from sticking on the hazards and getting a photo.

I was also pleased to go through the wards of Jedburgh, JedForest and JedWater.  Never been here before, but the town is on every road sign in Edinburgh.  Looked good, I will come back.

Then I passed within 10 miles of Kelso and recognised a huge monument that I walked to when we were up here a fex Xmas’s ago.  Happy Wii related memories.

Finally crossed into England and had some mad rollercoaster roads in Northumberland.  If Wales is all windy, these roads are dead straight but mentally up and down.  More than once, I thought I may loose my Full Scottish Breakfast.

P1000741
I am an Englishman, in England

No comments:

Post a Comment