Tuesday 15 May 2012

15/5/12 – I walk the line


Distance – 5.4 + 2.7 Miles
Walk from - AA walks through history
Geocaches – 3 + 5
Weather – Sunny
Onward Journey – 73 Miles
Listening to….
….. American Recordings IV, Johnny Cash (The best one)
…. Grinderman 2 RMX (Because I need a bit of Nick Cave in my life)

Last Night
After a nice afternoon with the sopranos, I headed into the town for an explore.  One cache at the end of the West Highland Way and a visit to three pubs.  Pub 1 – Ben Nevis bar – lovely views over the loch but no real ale.  Bizarrely, they did have massive attack playing.  Left there for the Grog and Gruel – A famous walkers pub.  Ate there and when in Scotland, I always find it best to eat Tex Mex.  Lovely Mexican toasted sandwich.  Top beer in here as well. 

Popped over the road to the estate agents.  7 Bedroom B&B for £280,000.  I think I will have a chat to Janet and Graham about it tomorrow.... looks like a business opportunity.

Was going to call it a night but decided that the Volunteer Arms should be checked out for the end of the football.  My god, there were some drunk men in here.  All from Manchester.

Get back to Chez Janet and creep in.... its after 11pm and the latch may be on.

The Walk

Caledonian Canal


I was expecting today to be a post Ben Nevis recovery day, so planned a gentle walk up and down the caledonian canal.  As I changed Ben Nevis to Glen Nevis, I could have done something more adventurous.  Park up at the end of the canal at the a flight of locks known as Neptunes Staircase.  Have some stunning views over Ben Nevis.

P1000682
No need to rest, this is the start

The walk couldn’t be easier.  After around 2.5 miles, I am looking for a bridge to cross over and come back.  I am a bit concerned when reaching the point and there is no bridge.  Turns out the canal is an aqueduct, and I need to drop down under it.  This is where cache 1 of the day is – just when a posse of OAPs come into view. 

P1000685
Runs under the canal

I am now on the lookout for remains of Torcastle.  It’s all marked on the OS map but when getting there, all I find is a knackered old Schimter car and some holiday lets.  Will have a good look at my route guide book when I get home.  I found the cache, but lost the castle.
Head back the way I came.  Additional chance for photos of the views.

P1000689
Should have been up there

Get back to the start for the two extra caches and the teashop.  They have only just turned the “kettle” on and it takes 20 mins, so I leave parched.

The Journey
Another exceptional road trip across the Caingroms.  Stopped many times for photo opps and for tea and scones, but my favourite places have to be around Dalwhinnie (I may just have one tonight).  The road is at 1650 ft along here.  Superb.

P1000699
An Audi and the open road.

Bonus Walk

Faskally Geocaching



Arrive at Pitlochry and the sun is shining.  There is a series of caches around Loch Faskally.  Its a bit like the Wyre Forest, only with a great big loch in the middle of it.  Nice easy walking to pick up 5 caches, which is a bonus.

P1000705
Picnic Area - no Picnic

No comments:

Post a Comment