Sunday 6 May 2012

06/05/12 - And I thought Warwickshire was flat

Distance - 10.7 Miles
Caches - 16 Found.  1 Missing.  1 DNF.  1 too fat to squeeze in.
Pubs - 1
Spectacular tumbles - 1
Walk from - Adventurous Pub Walks in Warwickshire

Ilmington, Mickleton and Meon Hill



For me, every pub visit should be an adventure.  Roger Noyce - he of dodgy instructions and poor measurements of walk distances has managed to write an entire book on his adventures.  As the Cotswolds just edges into Warwickshire and the sun was shining, I decided to give one a go.

Plot the walk and as an added bonus, there are an unexpectedly high number of caches on route.

Familiar drive up to lower quinton, which is not the one in Birmingham.  Instead, its a sleepy hamlet with a large green and nowhere to easily park.  Manage to abandon the car outside someones house.  Its early and a bank holiday weekend, so they are probably having a lie in.

The walk circles Meon Hill.  No public right of way to the top to the hill fort but I don't need to worry, as there are spectacular views from Ebrington Hill, which is next on the list.

Obviously up to early, as cache 1 is a failure.  59 people have found it and I will be the first to record a DNF.  Everyone is famous for something.

Heart of England Way
Not to worry, the caches come quick and fast on this excellent stretch of the Heart of England way to Mickleton.  I am signing the log at one and I can see a couple of walkers down the bottom.  When I reach the cache there, I realise that they are caching as well.  So, after saying hello as we passed on the path, we wave at each other from afar in recognition of our strange pursuit.

A View to inspire Coldplay.  And they need inspiration

Reach the outskirts of Mickleton, which is muggle central with dog walkers.  One lady seems very suspicious of my hanging around and keeps a close eye on me.  She is either a member of Mickleton Neighbourhood watch or really liked my hat.

Through Mickleton following a couple of ladies on horses.  I close a gate after them, just before one of the horses slips and nearly chucks the rider off.  I need them to trot on, as there is a cache with a clue of "Its Inside".  Inside what I wonder and see a hole in a tree.  The hole is big enough for my head but a small geokid could squeeze in and stand up fully inside.  Why won't Alex come with me?  Decide I dont want the horse muggles to come back and find me wedged in a tree, so leave it.
Pass through Mickelton and then have some great uphill walking to Hillcote Manor.  As I emerge on the grassy incline to the impressive wall with no obvious exit, I realise that I have walked this bit before.

Uphill to Hilcote
The walking up Ebrington Hill is excellent, with superb views (but mainly behind).  The sun has brought a large number of people out and they are all up on this stretch.

A bit of road walking on the other side of the hill leaves me with the views in front of me.  Walk through Upper Lark Stoke and the bluebells are out in force in the woodlands.

All down hill on wet grassy banks where I have one of the most spectacular falls ever.  A proper clown style legs in the air, followed by a drop on my backside and a fairly reasonable length skid.  Luckily no-one about but I swear the dog was smiling at me.

We are coming to Ilmington now.  Quick survey of my fleece and backside shows I won't be going in.  Lets hope they have outside seating.

The entrance into the village is classic Cotswolds.  All little lanes, honey colour buildings and a gentle stream.  I am looking for the big blue jug of happiness that is marked on my OS map and it soon comes into view.

Drag me to the pub, loyal hound.
They do have seating outside.  Its 1pm and I have been at it for 4 hours, with a distinct lack of butties, so I take my boots off, go in and ask if they are doing sarnies.  I am provided with a menu that has roast beef at £14.95.  Settle on a pint.

Where's the beef, you no booted, behatted berk?
Pint of Old Hooky was world class.

This just leaves us with a 3 mile pull back to the car, picking up the other side of Meon Hill.  Typical countryside walking.

Back to the car.  The caches have turned an 11 mile walk into a 5 hour event.  Drive back and pass possibly the most interestingly named pub ever.  If it wasn't the penultimate day of the premier league, I would have stopped.
If I owned a pub, it would be called something like this.




No comments:

Post a Comment