Sunday 22 April 2012

22/4/12 - Love of the Commons, People

Distance - 6 Miles
Walk Inspiration
Caches 3
There are still parts of the Malvern Hills that remain undiscovered to me.  Today it is the turn of the lowland Commons, as I wade my way through the sheep of Hollybed and Castlemorton Common.

The walk was spotted from an iPad in Greece whilst on holiday last year.  Its taken me this long to get on with it, but the good news is that during the wait, someone has laid a few caches.

Park up at the Gullet Pay and Display.  I am there at 9:30am and someone has already left behind an all day ticket under a rock on the machine.  There's a bonus £3 into the afternoon pub kitty.

Weather is excellent - blue skies and not too warm.  Stunning views before I have even left the car park.

Camera placed on Car.
Walk across Hollybed Common, making my way to the start of the Golden Valley.  OK walking, dog is on lead until we reach Mill Pond where the sheep are replaced by ducks. 

Not been to the Golden Valley before and hoping that I can do this between the predicted showers.  Whilst I am looking at the SatNav for the 1st cache of the day, the dog starts chewing on something.  I am concerned that it is a bone, so stop to fish it out of her mouth.  I retrieve what I can only describe as a dangleberry.  Drop it in disgust, so she takes it from me and thinks we are playing a game.  I leave her to it, feeling slightly sick.

Three caches down this stretch and a few walking muggles.  All the caches are in great condition and make this part of the walk even more special.  Stop at the hill at number three at a handily placed bench.

Mappiman and the chomper of clagnuts
All flat to the east of the Malverns
Cross the road and head on down to Birts Street.  After passing a pretty church, we reach the Farmers Arms.  An interesting looking pub in the middle of nowhere.  Turn left to cross fields into a section that becomes an agility test for the hound.

How do I cross this?
After some whimpering, she leaps over the first style, teeters dangerously close to the edge of the bridge and having gained confidence, vaults the final obstacle.  9 years old and she's still got it.

Fields lead to Castlemorton.  We can see the church to aim at over the fields.

Last village
Plenty of nice buildings in this town.  Not as many pubs as in Birts Street.

Its then a simple crossing of Hollybed Common, back to the now packed car park.  I think people had heard there was a free parking ticket going spare.

Another part of the Malverns ticked off.  Next time, we're on the hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment