Monday 9 April 2012

9/4/12 - Two rivers run through it

Distance - 7.5 Miles
Geocaches - 7
Weather - Next up from grim.  Lets call it filthy.


The weather reports left me feeling slighty less impressed than a Man City fan, but I decided to goretex up and get out at 7:15am for a walk that has been on the list for a while.

Tewkesbury is a medieval town.  Dominated by its Abbey and gets in the papers every few years for its flooding.  I have walked here twice before - the last time on the hottest day since 1976.  How I yearned for this sort of weather today.

Where to park?  Fortunately the high street allows parking on a Sunday and a Bank Holiday.  First result of the day.  Head up over King John's Bridge and across into the meadows alongside the avon.  There is a sign saying that the footpath is closed temporarily because of the old railway bridge is in a state of decay.  I haven't come all this way not to do the chosen route, so we just scuttle under.  Quickly.

Not much happens on the next stretch.  Fields and fields of sheep.  Increasing rain.  No People.  There are three geocaches in one field, providing much needed distraction.

Cache 3 - Takes your mind off the rain.
Keep moving north east to Twyning.  Remember this from past walks.  Nice place, with two pubs.  I only saw one and Molly resisted chasing the ducks off the little green at the front of the Fleet Inn. 

Going to start leaving later.  Its not beer o clock yet.
Skirt around Twning to take in three more caches on the way to Church End.  Huge church with big clocks tell me its 9am. 

Along the lane and get hassled at the end as I am crossing the A38 by a trampy looking fella in a crappy Peugeot.  I am waiting to cross in the middle of the lane and he revs his engine at me angrily.  The dog learns some new words and he gets the finger.  If he wanted to make any more of it, my wet feet were putting me in the sort of mood where I was prepared to kick off.

Cheer up when I cross the grounds of Puckrup Hall, laughing at the golfers in their stupid clothes and thinking of alternative names.  Surprising number of people out in this weather.  Must be the Masters encouraging them to get out.  Wind my way down to Bow Bridge for the last cache of the day.

I am afraid its all rather dull walking through calf high grass that soaks my trousers through.  Rain is coming at me sideways.  Only have a couple of fishermen to laugh at as I skirt between the Severn and the lake.  Geocaching is one thing, but looking at a worm on the end of a stick from under an umbrella is something else.

Walk gets interesting as we pass under Mythe Bridge.  Have something to look at, at least.  The last time I came here was just after the flood of 2007 and this part of the walk past the water plant was redirected.  They have built new flood defences here and at one point, you are walking on water, on an elevated metal section.

Gimme Sheter
Just need to complete a perfect U around where the Severn meets the Avon. Nice views of the Abbey.

Neary back at the car
Head back to the car, passing the black bear pub.  Built in 1308.  And this is now the 3rd time I have walked past without visiting.  Its still not beer o'clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment