Saturday 7 April 2012

7/4/12 - Another day, another castle

Geocaches - 14
First Cache
Info on Elmley Castle
Distance - 5.5 Miles
Weather - Grim


I was expecting rain from tomorrow, so rather foolhardily headed off for a new round in Elmley Castle.  I've been here a number of times, usually for Bredon Hill.  Lovely place, as good as anything in the Cotswolds.  The first time I came, the pub was closed and had a sign proclaiming how long the village had been dry for.  The next time, the pub had re-opened.  Proof indeed that things can get better.

Park up alongside the stream and pub and head to the diverted footpaths around Manor Farm.  Cache 1 is a cheeky little number that I thankfully find quickly, as I have set the farm dog off.  Cache 2 along a similar vein, but even better.

Its all fields of sheep at this stage.  There is a beast loose in Worcestershire, as I find the dismembered remains of two lambs.  The first one is missing its head and rear leg but the rest of the carcass is fine.  What sort of animal is lurking these hills and living of the heads of sheep?  I would have taken a photo but it was a bit X-Rated.

Cache three involves tying the geohound up, whilst I take a look.  The co-ords are spot on, so I really was barking up the wrong tree to start with.  It just looked like a good place for a cache.

But what if the beast of Elmley comes?
The light drizzle turns into a proper downpour.  I must admit, this makes the stretch into Great Comberton a bit of a chore and doesn't put me in the best of moods as I get progressively more wet.  The dog develops a centre parting in her bouffant, strangely reminiscent of a 1930s dandy.

The caches at this point are straigtforward but little opportunities for photos.  The camera is in a tesco bag in my Soft Shell.  It does come out to record that some bargains are just not worth it.

Maybe not.
A quick turn around in Great Comberton and we are back on tracks running parallel with the one coming in.  A long hunt at number 8, but at least the rain stops.

Then we have the highlight of the walk.  The walk up to Even Hill is special and new paths for me.  Some great views and it shows how hill walking can improve the soul.  I am positively chipper by the time I get to the top.

I'll be happy when I get up there
Enjoy the walk through the woods and take extra notice not to lose the paths, looking for caches. 

A bit extreme - I'm only hunting tupperware
Fairly steep and when you reach the top there is a surpisingly large patch of grass that would make an ace picnic area.  For the second day running, I see a group of deer.  Always a special sight.

Liked Cache 13.  One for the views, and two for the fact its a multi.  Paper retrieved from the Mappiman patented geocaching utility belt to work out the clues.

A bit special up at Jumbo's bench.
Simple drop down to the village.  First humans of the day are walking / cycling / restraining Barny the hound (who obviously has a bit of previous).  Find the Offset cache and number 14 before returning to the car.

A bit damp, but happy after 100% and a new location found, with some great views.  Thanks to hampton hunter for setting up a great little series.

And the castle?  Its on Private land below Even Hill.  But there is no need to worry, the locals half inched all the bricks to make Pershore Bridge in the 15th Century.  Before they tried to trash it in the English Civil War.  And the Daily Mail is up in arms about HS2.

No comments:

Post a Comment