Saturday 3 December 2011

03/12/11 - Beat the clock

Distance - 10.1 Miles
Geocaches - 0
Walk Familiaity - High

Bewdley



First weekend of a special month.... there is the patter of tiny 17 year old feet in the rush to open the advent calendar, no car journey is complete without the sound of Micheal Bubbles christmas album and family Mapp have had many healthy debates on why £200 Dr Dre headphones are vital for seasonal cheer.

Its also time for me to review Julie Royals Worcestershire walks for inspiration.  Give Upton a miss, as I have already done this walk this year and find myself on the old familiar.  Hope the miles will make up for the lack of caches.

Park up by the river and decide whether to go for three hours for £2.10 or longer for £4.30.  No way I am paying the latter (I have headphones to save up for), so I am up against the clock on this ten miler.  There's also a rather nice cafe and two fine pubs that could have been of interest.

Head north along the river, past Dowles Brook, where the pillars are all that is left of the old railway line.

Dowles Brook
Fine walking, with the river to the right and grazing land to the left, bordered by the edge of the forest.

Onwards Molly
When we turn the corner at Folley's point we head into the forest at Seckley's wood for the first time.  There are myriad paths to choose from but we need to head west, looking for Pound Green and the common.  This is an odd place, a small hamlet with a smattering of smallholdings and cottages.

This leads to Buttonoak.  If I hadn't let the promise of a full english breakfast and/or Timothy Taylor Landlord cloud my judgement, I could have parked here for nothing.

Cross the road and head into the woods, starting up the firebreak path before heading south down Longdon Orchard.


Fire Break
This brings us down to Dowles Brook, where we are starting our return eastwards to civilisation.


Which Way?
Todays Times (oh the joys of Saturdays) has an article on our topsey turvey weather in 2011.  It has been the driest year in the Midlands since records began.  Nowhere is this more evident than at Dowles Brook.  In 2006, this bridge was washed away in floods.  It has since been rebuilt and I have been here many times, where the doodle takes time to play in the water.

Dowles Brook - Knee high to a doodle
That ruins her fun for now, but rest assured, water based exitement is to follow.

Contiinue down well known paths and then drama..... the path is closed with a sign saying "due to erosion, the path is closed".  There is no alternative to get home and remember that I am on mission - beer, sausages and a ticket from the nasty parking man could either happen or not happen.  I decide to assess the risk and plough on regardless.

Erosion?  More like the end of "A Bridge too far"
I get across by balancing on the struts.  Molly takes a more direct route.

After this minor diversion, we have a sprint back to the finish, meeting the river severn at Dowles brook and the short walk back to town.  The dog is black, so I look for a suitable spot to get her to have a dunk in the river.

Now, I think that I have misjudged the current.  I throw a stick in the river and she leaps in to retrieve.  She then tries to swim back upstream but the current is that strong, that she is just remaining in the same spot - all four legs going like the clappers.  Its a real heart in the mouth moment.  Not so worried about the dog, just having my photo taken and appearing in the Daily Mail, like the woman accused of hoiking her dogs into the sea this week.

She eventually gets out after an heroic battle.... as clean as a whistle.

Dog based water adventures and closed bridges have all taken there toll on the time.  I had to forsake the refreshments, but got my moneys worth out of the ticket.

Who says I am tight?
Home for blogging to the sounds of ladies arguing about the tree decorations and "santa is coming to town" on the iPod.  Think I will go and listen to the Albion on the radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment